Sunderland Public Library is proud to offer free kayak loans to our patrons. Thanks to a generous gift from our neighbors and partners, Adventure East, the library has two single kayaks and one tandem kayak that are available to borrow and use on the Connecticut River.
Latest news (as of July 11, 2023)
Due to unsafe river conditions, we are temporarily suspending our Kayak Loan Program. Although the Sunderland Boat Launch at the end of School Street has now reopened to the public, river currents are still too strong for kayakers. For most kayakers, the streamflow must be below 5,000 ft3/s. Anything above 10,000 ft3/s is unsafe for all paddlers, which is where the levels have been, except for very rare, brief interludes. Our kayaks may not be used at any other location. We will resume this program as soon as it is safe to do so. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
What Can You Borrow?
- The library has one Tandem Kayak (seats two) and two Single Kayaks.
- Each kayak comes with a universal sized life vest, a paddle, and a small two-wheel cart to help with transportation to and from the river.
- A borrower’s packet with a recommended paddling map and other safety information.
How Does the Kayak Loan Program Work?
- Anyone with a C/WMARS Library Card can borrow a kayak free of charge from Sunderland Public Library.
- The kayaks are borrowed for three days, allowing you to choose the best conditions to kayak.
- The item you check out from the library is an information packet and keys to the Kayak Kiosk in Riverside Park. The keys will let you into the locker for your kayak and the storage closet containing paddles and life vests.
- When you are done with the kayak, return it to its locker, return your life vest and paddle to the closet, and place the keys in the library’s return box.
What Do I Need to Borrow a Kayak?
- You must be 18 years of age to borrow the kayak.
- You must bring a photo ID.
- You must read and sign the Kayak Release & Kayak Loan Policy forms.
- The kayak may only be used in the CT River and launched from the Sunderland Boat Launch. You may not bring the kayak to any other location.
- You will be required to check the weather and river conditions before you get on the water. Check the Weather. Check the River Conditions . Please read the safety guide for how to interpret the weather and river conditions. We have also created these guides on how to interpret the weather conditions and how to interpret the river conditions.
- You must be physically capable of moving the kayak from the Kayak Kiosk to the CT River (each kayak comes with a two-wheel cart).
- Children ages 10 – 18 may use a kayak with adult supervision, and must have their parent/legal guardian sign the Kayak Release.
- The library provided life vests are only suitable for those weighing 95 lbs or more. People weighing less need to provide their own coast guard certified life vest.
Download the Safety Guide
Download the Map